Rachel Kolisi breaks silence on surname: ‘For now, I’m Rachel Kolisi’

Rachel Kolisi addresses ongoing surname speculation after divorce, says she remains proud of her identity

By Bulelwa Hoala

Image: @carliannsmithy on Instagram

Rachel Kolisi has addressed ongoing speculation around whether she will change her surname following her divorce from Springbok captain Siya Kolisi.

The 35-year-old social impact leader and philanthropist was speaking on Day 2 of the Franschhoek Literary Festival in Franschhoek on Saturday, 16 May 2026, where she responded to questions during the screening of her Falling Forward documentary.

Along with her deeply personal memoir Falling Forward, published by Pan Macmillan South Africa and co-authored by writer Zibu Sithole, the project focuses on reclaiming her identity, voice and courage.

In a video posted by News24 from the event, Rachel shared a story about going to buy bread at a store, where a coffee shop worker asked if she was Siya Kolisi’s wife. She said she responded by saying no and introduced herself simply as Rachel.

Prioritising Stability for Her Children

Addressing the audience, Rachel, who has two children with Kolisi, said the most important thing for her during her divorce was creating stability for herself and her children.

“What was really important for me last year was to create stability for my children. In two years, they had moved five times, changed schools three times, been overseas twice, and moved house five times. It was the most unstable, insane year of their lives, plus their parents got divorced on top of that. And so what was really important for me was to create stability, not just for my children, but for myself and for the people around me,” she said.

‘For Now, I Am Rachel Kolisi’

She also said that although changing her surname has not been a priority, it is something she may consider in the future.

“And was a surname change desperately needed at the time? No. Will I do it eventually? I don’t know. Why the public is so intrigued about the surname, I have no idea. For now, I am Rachel Kolisi, and I am very proud to introduce myself as Rachel Kolisi,” she added.

Life After the High-Profile Separation

Rachel and Siya Kolisi announced their separation on social media in October 2024 after nearly eight years of marriage. The couple said the decision was made after “much reflection and open conversations” and from “a place of love, respect and understanding.”

Their split saw Rachel step down as CEO of the Kolisi Foundation at the end of February 2025, followed by her filing a complaint with the Commission for Conciliation, Mediation and Arbitration (CCMA) in March, alleging “constructive dismissal.”

Rachel continues to openly share the challenges of navigating life and motherhood after the separation and divorce. Meanwhile, in December 2025, Siya Kolisi announced that he would be leaving the Durban-based Hollywoodbets Sharks at the end of the current season in July 2026 and rejoining the Cape Town-based DHL Stormers. The decision was driven by his desire to be closer to his children.

READ NEXT: Former Miss SA Shudufhadzo Musida completes master’s degree at Columbia University

The post Rachel Kolisi breaks silence on surname: ‘For now, I’m Rachel Kolisi’ appeared first on KAYA 959.

About admin